What is AviClear, and How Does it Treat Acne?
AviClear is an FDA-cleared laser treatment manufactured by Cutera for mild to severe acne. This first-of-its-kind laser has been proven in clinical trials to improve and/or eliminate existing acne, while making future breakouts shorter, less intense, and less frequent.
Sebum is produced within the sebaceous glands to keep your skin properly moisturized and is important in tiny amounts. The problem for millions of acne sufferers is sebaceous glands sometimes go into overdrive and overproduce oils, collecting dead skin cells and debris and forming sticky, plug clogging pores. Excess sebum sufferers will get blackheads, whiteheads, and blemishes. Sebaceous gland bacteria feed on this excess sebum, inflaming pores to the point of rupture, creating acne pustules, papules, nodules, and cysts.
AviClear’s 1726 nanometer wavelength selectively targets and heats the skin’s sebaceous glands, suppressing their natural production of sebum.
The precision of the Cutera AviClear laser, paired with its built-in cooling function, ensures the laser energy spares surrounding glands while only damaging the sebaceous glands. This makes the treatment suitable for all skin tones.
Forever Slender MedSpa always schedules and sells the recommended series of three AviClear treatments one month apart from one another. We are results oriented and cannot sell single treatments since three treatments are required to deliver great results. Treatments require little to no downtime.
Can AviClear be Used on All Skin Types?
Yes! Unlike nearly every other laser treatment, AviClear is safe to use on all skin types.
Many laser wavelengths can damage darker skin tones, but the 1726 nanometer wavelength used by AviClear treatment is safe for everyone’s skin. This is true whether you are an exceptionally light skinned person who burns easily in the sun, or a very dark or olive skinned individual.
What Are the Pros and Cons of AviClear?
- AviClear treats active acne and prevents future breakouts by stunting the sebaceous glands producing and releasing oils
- The AviClear laser improves all acne types and severities for patients of all ages
- The device’s contact-cooling technology makes the treatment safe for all skin tones
- AviClear treatment is relatively painless
- As with other lasers and light-based devices, patients compare the sensation to a rubber band snapping on the skin. In the clinical trial, all subjects tolerated the treatment without topical anesthetic
- It can be a quick treatment, taking only 30 minutes
- There is little to no downtime with the AviClear laser and only sunscreen aftercare, so you can get right back to your normal activities
- AviClear offers patients an alternative treatment option to acne medications isotretinoin (Accutane) and oral antibiotics which come with far more serious side effects
- AviClear results appear to be long-lasting, with some study subjects experiencing flawless skin for up to two years following the recommended course of treatment
- The treatment has a high patient satisfaction rate, with 87% of clinical trial participants reporting they were “satisfied” or “very satisfied” with the improvement in their skin
- Effectively treating active acne and preventing new breakouts leads to fewer acne scars
- An in-office laser procedure, AviClear can cost more than at-home acne remedies. The cost is offset with fewer doctor visits and prescription medications
- You need a series of three treatments. Repeat treatments may eventually be needed down the road to maintain your AviClear results
- Some patients see acne flare up immediately after their first AviClear acne treatment, though this usually resolves with the second or third treatment
How Much Does AviClear Cost?
Forever Slender MedSpa follows the recommended treatment protocol of a series of three AviClear acne treatments with a Laser Genesis treatment between the second and third treatments, costing $4000.
A Care Credit payment plan of $99/month at a 0% interest rate is available for those seeking a lower initial payment.
Does AviClear Really Eliminate Acne?
In a Cutera funded study of 104 moderate to severe acne patients treated with AviClear, 80% had more than half their acne lesions resolved three months after their third monthly treatment session. 87% of patients saw 50% or more pimples cleared six months after their last session.
Six months after their final treatment, patients with moderate and severe acne experienced an average of 93% reduction in those exceedingly difficult to treat deep nodules. Future acne breakouts were also demonstrably shorter, with fewer and more minor lesions.
Have Complications/Adverse Events Been Found for AviClear?
The clinical studies demonstrated no significant complications or adverse events at all!
Who are Good AviClear Candidates?
50 million teens and young adults across North America seek professional treatment for acne every year. Half of teenage acne sufferers continue to struggle with acne breakouts into adulthood and both teens and adults of any age are excellent AviClear treatment candidates.
“What's most unique about the laser is that it is colorblind, so it can be used across all skin types,” notes Dr. Joshua Zeichner, a New York City based dermatologist. “It’s a great option for people who are resistant to or are not candidates for traditional acne medications.”
AviClear can improve, reduce, and potentially eliminate all forms of acne, from mild to severe, both comedonal types (blackheads and whiteheads) and inflammatory bumps. The most dramatic results are apparent in patients who start off with the worst issues.
Dermatologists have been especially impressed with AviClear’s ability to treat cystic acne nodules, which historically have not responded well to laser therapy. AviClear provides an opportunity to get people off oral isotretinoin [Accutane] or antibiotics for nodules.
As with all laser treatments, AviClear is contraindicated in pregnancy. An interesting phenomenon has been women who plan to get pregnant often get AviClear treatment to keep their skin clear while they are expecting. There is no other option for women soon to be pregnant to maintain great skin tone, since pregnancy stops most medications and treatments.
What is the AviClear Acne Treatment Protocol?
What to expect during a typical AviClear treatment at Forever Slender MedSpa
- Men must shave the morning before treatment if hair exists in treatment areas
- Expect AviClear treatments to take 30-60 minutes
- You will need to wash your face before treatment
- Forever Slender MedSpa staff will further de-grease the area with acetone wipes
- Acetone can trigger day-long redness in patients using topical retinoids, so discontinue retinoid usage several days prior to AviClear treatment
- No numbing cream is needed or used, as usage would increase the risk of complications
- Avoid topical anesthetics since the laser targets oil and topical anesthetics contain oil
- Wet gauze pads will be laid on your face because dampening the skin helps the laser’s contact-cooling mechanism, ensuring even cooling throughout the treatment area
- The gauze pads will be removed before the laser is engaged
- Some areas may only need one laser pass while problem areas may require two
- Be aware the upper lip and forehead are more sensitive to the laser
- Apply sunscreen immediately post-treatment and you will be clear to go home!
How Soon Will You See AviClear Results?
Within three to four weeks of your third AviClear acne treatment you will begin to see improved skin tone and your skin clarity improvements will continue over time. As with any treatment, outcomes will vary from patient to patient.
Many patients begin to see improvement after the second session and some lucky candidates see improvement after the first treatment. The full three-treatment program is necessary for best results.
How Long do AviClear Results Last?
The clinical trials found AviClear acne treatment results improve over time, with some patients reporting unblemished skin for up to two years after their third treatment session.
What are AviClear Side Effects?
- Researchers saw no significant side effects in the clinical trial. AviClear was determined very safe, effective, and well tolerated by all skin types, including olive, brown, and deep skin tones, traditionally more prone to laser-related complications
- AviClear may worsen flushing rosacea, so it is important for staff to accurately distinguish between acne and rosacea, and to only target acne with AviClear
- Due to AviClear’s usage of the 1726 nm wavelength, there were no reported cases of hyperpigmentation in the study, and trial subjects gave the treatment an average score of 5.1 on the discomfort scale, even without any anesthetic administered
- Your skin may look inflamed and slightly swollen for up to two days following treatment, but most patients see redness fade before leaving the clinic
- Some individuals experience breakouts following their first AviClear treatment due to a purging effect which resolves within a few days
"Hands down 🤝this is by far the best Medspa in my opinion, the place is amazing ,I have been going there since December 2022 twice a week and every time I go there I feel welcomed and comfortable each time I'm there especially Alexis and Jackie are my favorite 😍Thank you so much for everything and for your kindness and I recommended the place to afew of my friends and they love it there too.. You all that are looking for any body contouring services just to boost your body up,should TRY OUT the forever slender medspa in Wayland Massachusetts it's definitely the best place to go to 😊🤝"- S.S. / Google / Jan 20, 2023
"My absolute fave business in Wayland. I leave feeling pampered and relaxed every time. Great owner and staff!"- D.K. / Google / Dec 20, 2022
"This was hands down the best body wrap I have ever had. The attention to detail and calm environment made the entire experience perfect. It's a perfect treatment for those who suffer back pain and any sort of physical, chronic pain. I'll be exclusively going here moving forward!"- S.V. / Google / Oct 31, 2022
"Forever slender is welcoming, immaculate place, with wonderful people, helping you look and feel beautiful. I strongly recommend."- L.T. / Google / Oct 15, 2022
"Very professional, helpful and caring group. Alexis and Jacquie were a pleasure to deal with and I would definitely recommend their services."- A. / Google / Aug 18, 2022
Plan Your Procedure
Don’t Let Acne Breakouts Make You Miss Your Next Event
The AviClear laser uses the unique 1726 nm wavelength to disrupt overactive sebaceous glands without negatively affecting surrounding tissue.Read
Can AviClear for Acne Eliminate the Need for Accutane Prescriptions?
Do You Know Someone with Severe Acne? AviClear is the miracle you have been seeking – by resetting those sebaceous glands to proper functioning.Read